Sunday, September 22, 2024

Most Days

Most days I forget all that I've lost.
It is only in the daily interactions with others
That I have moments I recall what all is missing;
Mostly this comes as a shock. "Look at all that I once had!?"
None of which I was all that deserving.
All of which I worked so hard to acquire and invest
Was but life's blessings.
Not everyone's hard work pays off, I was lucky.
And perhaps now I am not.
But
Most days I forget all that I have lost.
I feel full and free and eager and ready
There seems to me so much more in life than I was imagining.
I think of love especially.
I think of friendship and of family.
I think that perhaps what I lost was really not for me.
That it is what now lays ahead
That which I cannot fully see
Of which life is customizing an opulent thanksgiving.
None of which I will be all that deserving.
All of which I will continue to work hard to acquire and invest
Will be but life's blessings.
Not everyone's hard work pays off, I'd be so lucky
And perhaps be able to share all that I've got.
But
Most days I forget all that there is yet still to lose
I feel like time will run out not
There always seems to be more of it with each tick and tock
No deadline too important to push off
I wonder if the sense of urgency will ever come about
And then I remember life's blessings
All of those I've lost,
All of which I have,
All of the possibilities left within each day still had.
And perhaps most importantly,
The significance of my actions, being most important
After my death

No comments:

Post a Comment

An American's Dream

  falling asleep has never been too much of an issue for me but waking up I often seem stuck and still dreaming most night's sle...